2014 is just starting, but already it’s shaping up to be an exciting year. Austin is already buzzing over many dining options that are set to be opening soon, including the many restaurants that are expected to open on East 7th street! There is something new and gourmet opening in many parts of Austin, from Italian to Barbecue. Here are some of the restaurant openings that we’re most excited about.
1. Mongers Market + Kitchen: So many cute restaurants are popping up in East Austin, and this one sounds like it’s going to be amazing! Located at 2401 E. Cesar Chavez St., this restaurant will feature Texas Gulf seafood. Mongers is the brainchild of Kenichi executive chef Shane Stark and San Miguel Seafood, and their menu is rumored to include red snapper and a variety of grouper species, as well as Gulf swordfish and tuna!
2. Porter: This restaurant and bar, slated to open in January, gets its name from the Johnny Cash song, “Hey Porter.” Located at 3715 S. 1st St, Porter will feature upscale “bar food” such as pork sliders, grilled pimento cheese sandwiches, and burgers. The bar will offer around 30 beers on tap, including a large local selection. They’ll be open until midnight seven days a week, so check them out for some late night munchies!
3. St. Philip: This should be interesting. From the makers of Uchi and Uchiko comes St. Philip: a pizza parlor and bake house. Opening in South Austin in 2014 at 4715 S. Lamar Blvd, it will be in the building previously occupied by Cannoli Joe’s. This place is rumored to be much less fancy then Uchi and Uchiko, serving pizzas, sandwiches, meatballs and fresh-baked breads. The bakery will serve savory and sweet baked goods… anything coming from these folks is sure to be impressive!
4. Terry Black’s Barbecue: Mike and Mark Black, the twin great-grandsons of Edgar Black are opening their own barbecue joint in Austin. Who is Edgar Black, you ask? He’s the founder of the popular Black’s Barbecue in Lockhart, TX. This restaurant is known all over Texas for it’s exceptional BBQ, despite being located in such a small town. Expected to open in early 2014 on Barton Springs road, this restaurant will be serving up pit-smoked meats cooked just like Mike and Mark learned from their grandfather.
5. Noble Sandwiches: The North Austin sensation Noble Sandwiches is set to open another location this year at 4805 Burnet Road. Noble is known for its eclectic sandwiches such as duck pastrami and Italian sausage. They also serve home made sides and charcuterie.
Check out these amazing locations as soon as you can!