August is the hottest month in Austin. It’s currently 7 pm and still 101 degrees. Ew. Although, I’m inside with the AC blasting.
This is my second summer living in Austin. Last year, the heat didn’t bother me. Everything was still so new then…new city, new job, new friends, new adventures. But this summer…I’m jaded & annoyed! Stupid heat.
You can let the heat beat you though! Well, you can become a hermit until fall. That’s no fun though.
Here’s how I’m beating the heat in Austin!
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I’m much more conscious of drinking lots of liquids recently. For my caffeine kick, I’ve opted for black iced tea.
If you struggle to drink enough water, I suggest using a super cute mason jar and a straw. It’s a mental thing, but it makes me happier to drink out of mason jars. I’m also a big fan of fat flush waters now. If you don’t like the taste of water (like my Mom–she only drinks diet Coke), spruce it up. Recently, I’ve been adding a combination of lemon & cucumber slices to my water. I’ve also done lime & raspberries.
And I make a point of taking water with me when I leave my apartment. Even if I’m just running to the store quickly, I take water with me. It helps to combat the blast of heat that hits when you open your car door.
2. Hair clips — I have long, thick hair. Sooooo the back of my neck is always flippin’ sweaty when I’m outside. But I don’t want to wear my hair in a ponytail if I’m going to work or out with friends. Enter the hair clip. I’ll clip my hair up before leaving my apartment and just take it down right before exiting my car at my destination.
3. Eat more fruits & veggies. This is just something that I should do regardless. I feel more refreshed when I eat light in the summer. And you don’t have to turn on your oven or stove if you’re noshing on raw veg & fruit.
Or you can drink them!! I’ve fallen back in love with smoothies for breakfast…and even for dinner a few times.
4. Keep reinforcements in your purse. I do keep deodorant and face wipes in my purse. You’ll never know when you’ll need it…especially if you end up going out for happy hour after work & want to spruce up. Sometimes I’ll just reach for a face wipe to cool down my neck or in between the girls. Was that an over share? Come on, you know you sweat in between your tatas too.
5. Sun shades up! I’m diligent about putting my sun shades up to shield my car windshield from the sun. It may seem silly to put the shades up if you get home at 1 am, but if you leave again at 2 pm the next day…you’ll be glad you did! No more burning your hands on your steering wheel!
6. Fan in the bathroom! So you get up in the morning for work…take a shower…do your make-up…dry your hair…and then you’re hot and your make-up looks ick. Please tell me I’m not the only one with that problem.
Now, you can take your shower at night to combat the heat. But my hair never looks good when I do the night shower. Enter…the clip-on fan! Turn on the fan to cool yourself while you dry your hair. I recently bought this fan for $15 and it was a great decision.
7. If all else fails, hole up inside and catch up on episodes of Call the Midwife!