About South Austin, TX
220 listings as of March 26th, 2017 at 3:36pm CDT
South Austin homes are located south of downtown and extend to the edge of Hill Country. The area is chalk full of unique boutiques, cafes, restaurants, and a variety of other retail outlets that truly personify the slogan "Keep Austin Weird." It's in this section of the city that you'll find the world's only costume shop, candy shop, retro music store, and vintage clothing outlet all on the same street. Real estate in South Austin is especially popular with professionals, executives, families, and long-time residents. Access to downtown is quick and easy via MoPac or I-35; many of the area's neighborhoods are within biking distance from the city center. Green spaces are abundant in this section of the city, and there are plenty of activities for the nature lover. Nearly all homes in South Austin are within a stone's throw from a park such as Bauerle Ranch Park, Mary Moore Searight Park, McKinney Falls State Park, and Barton Creek Wilderness Park. If you're looking for an eclectic part of the city to call home, South Austin real estate is your best best.
South Austin neighborhoods include Bouldin Creek, Barton Hills, Sherwood Oaks, Travis Heights, Terrace at Live Oak, Cherry Creek, South Congress, Tanglewood Forest, Circle C Ranch, and many more.
Take a moment to have a look through our free listings of South Austin homes for sale. They're updated daily and always available. We're also pleased to provide more information about this area of Austin below if you'd like to read more.
All About South Austin Property Listings
South Austin real estate is comprised of a delightful mix of old & new construction available in an abundance of styles. Houses in the area are typically spacious and offer a variety of amenities that buyers will enjoy such as large lot sizes, open floor plans, and beautiful views. Most South Austin neighborhoods have exceptional curb appeal, tree-lined streets, and well-manicured yards. Whether you're a first-time home buyer or a growing family looking to upsize, you'll find homes in South Austin that catch your eye and fit your budget. Prices for attractive condos, perfect for a single person or couple start under $100,000, while stunning executive homes are priced up to $850,000. There is no shortage of options in this great area - let HomeCity help you find real estate in South Austin to suit your lifestyle today!
Signing up with our site is free, quick, and easy. We want to help make your search for South Austin properties as easy as possible. After you've signed up, tell us exactly what you're looking for and we'll email you as soon as a match is listed. Register today!
South Austin Schools
South Austin homes are zoned to the AustinISD. This large district has an enrollment of nearly 87,000. The Texas Education Agency gave Austin ISD the ranking of "academically acceptable" in its most recent accountability survey.
Elementary schools in South Austin include:
- Allison Elementary
- Baranoff Elementary
- Barton Hills Elementary
- Blackshear Elementary
- Boone Elementary
Middle Schools include:
- Anne Richards
- Bedicheck Middle School
- Fulmore Middle School
High Schools include:
- Adkins High
- Crockett High
- Travis High
If private school is what your looking for, there are also several wonderful private, Montessori, and pre-schools in the area.
Relocating and have questions?
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about life in South Austin:
What are some of outdoor amenities you can find in South Austin?
- Lake/river access: Beat the Texas heat by spending your day at one of Austin's beautiful water access spots: Barton Springs, Lady Bird Lake, Deep Eddy Pool, McKinney Falls, Barton Creek Greenbelt Preserve, and several other access points along the Colorado River.
- Dog Parks: There are plenty of places for your furry friends to run around at Auditorium Shores, the Greenbelt Preserve, Town Lake, Zilker Dog park, and “Barking” Springs (located across the fence from Barton Springs). For a full list of dog park locatons, click here.
- Disc Golf Courses: Disc golf is a popular sport played by Austinites, you can find courses at: Circle C Ranch Metropolitan Park on Slaughter Creek, Mary Moor Searight Park, Zilker Park, and the Met Center Disc Golf Course.
Where are some popular places to go eat in South Austin?
- South Congress: South Congress has some great places to eat such as the Magnolia Café (best brunch in South Austin), South Congress Café (southern gourmet food), and the famous Home Slice Pizza.
- South Lamar: The southern side of Lamar also has some delicious choices such as Matt’s El Rancho ("The King of Mexican Food"), Uchi (best sushi in Austin), and Lick Ice Cream (all natural ingredients, inventive flavors).
- Barton Springs Road: Along the west side of Barton Springs road you can find local favorites such as Chuy’s (Tex-Mex), Green Mesquite BBQ, and Shady Grove Cafe (burgers/southern food, great outdoor patio).
What are some good places to go have a drink in South Austin?
- South Austin has many laid-back places to grab a drink with friends. Crow Bar on South Congress is a popular choice with an outdoor patio. At the historic Continental Club, you can find live music every night of the week in a dive bar atmosphere. If you’re looking for something different, Square Rut Kava bar specializes in a Hawaiian drink called Kava that promotes relaxation and a cheerful mood without the use of alcohol.
Where are some popular places to go work out?
- Running/biking the Town Lake trail is a popular one with Austenite’s; the course offers 10 miles with several spots that loop around to customize the distance of your run.
- There are also many gyms such as Gold’s Gym, Planet Fitness, and Pure Fitness Austin.
- Swimming in Barton Springs is popular among Austinites, the springs have been fashioned into a large, deep, rectangular pool perfect for laps outdoors.
- The South Austin Rec Center offers organized sports such as soccer, basketball, tennis and track.
How long is the commute downtown in traffic?
- If one avoids the highways and goes through town, the commute is generally quite fast. Depending on your location, on a normal day it takes 10-20 minutes to get to the heart of downtown.
- Is there an airport nearby?
- Yes, Austin Bergstrom International Airport is about a 20 minute drive down Ben White Blvd and offers most major airlines.
For more information, check out our BLOG for the latest real estate news, trends, and information.
HomeCity is here to help. Call us at 1.877.284.2489 or fill out our online contact form anytime. Our goal is to find homes in South Austin that are exactly what you've been searching for. Drop us a line now.
The information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
Based on information from the Austin Board of REALTORS® (alternatively, from ACTRIS) from March 26th, 2017 at 3:36pm CDT. Neither the Board nor ACTRIS guarantees or is in any way responsible for its accuracy. The Austin Board of REALTORS®, ACTRIS and their affiliates provide the MLS and all content therein "AS IS" and without any warranty, express or implied. Data maintained by the Board or ACTRIS may not reflect all real estate activity in the market.
All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified.
Save Favorite Listings
Add listings to your favorites so you can recall & compare listings later
Save Listing Searches
Save searches so you can quickly & easily search listings when you return
Receive Listings Via Email
Receive listings via email that match your saved searches so you're always up to date