Realtors are increasingly choosing to enlist the help of a staging professional when a client’s home is listed on the market. The trend is gaining popularity due to the increasing success that agents are reporting in recent studies of both time on the market and final sale amounts.
A staged home is likely to get better offers.
One-quarter of buyers’ agents said that staging a home increased the dollar value offered between 1-5%, compared to other similar homes on the market that were not staged. In a study done by Staged4More School of Home Staging, 88% of their staged homes sold for over asking price in 2019.
Staging a home helps sell your home quickly.
Fifty-three percent of seller’s agents reported that the time on the market of a staged home was decreased in some capacity. According to the Real Estate Staging Association, homes that are staged before going on the market sell 73% faster, on average, than their non-staged counterparts. Stagedhomes.com shows that staged homes average 6 days for selling time on the market versus 48 days nationally. Also, according to the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), only 33% of homebuyers are first-time homebuyers, leaving the other 67% as previous homeowners whose new home purchase is contingent on the sale of their current home. The sooner they sell, the sooner they can buy.
Staging a home allows the client to visualize their life in the home.
According to NAR, 83% of homebuyers credited staging for their ability to visualize the space as their future home. Part of the staging process includes the critical step of depersonalizing. Depersonalizing a space includes taking down personal photos, artwork that isn’t necessarily appealing to most, and anything that screams your own personal, political, or religious taste.
Staging a home doesn’t have to cost a lot of money, and you’ll most likely get a return on your investment. NAR states that 71% of sellers’ agents believe a well-staged environment increases the dollar value buyers are willing to offer, yet the median cost of staging is only $400. A few quick and budget-friendly changes can go a long way, according to staging professionals, including a fresh coat of paint, general decluttering, changing rugs, and plugging in an oil diffuser to ensure a pleasant smell.
Staging is an effective strategy to help sell your home more quickly in a competitive market. It can help ease the pressure between a client and an agent because the “feelings” are taken out of the transaction. An experienced real estate professional can help appeal to the right target audience with input on improvements or taste, all within the parameters of a reasonable budget. Staging a home means less time on the market and an increased price for most, making it a helpful step in your home-selling process.